Re: insert/update tps slow with indices on table > 1M rows

Список
Период
Сортировка
От Matthew Wakeling
Тема Re: insert/update tps slow with indices on table > 1M rows
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Дерево обсуждения
insert/update tps slow with indices on table > 1M rows  (andrew klassen, )
 Re: insert/update tps slow with indices on table > 1M rows  (PFC, )
 Re: insert/update tps slow with indices on table > 1M rows  (andrew klassen, )
 Re: insert/update tps slow with indices on table > 1M rows  ("Scott Marlowe", )
 Re: insert/update tps slow with indices on table > 1M rows  (Matthew Wakeling, )
  Re: insert/update tps slow with indices on table > 1M rows  (James Mansion, )
 Re: insert/update tps slow with indices on table > 1M rows  (andrew klassen, )
  Re: insert/update tps slow with indices on table > 1M rows  (Matthew Wakeling, )
 Re: insert/update tps slow with indices on table > 1M rows  (andrew klassen, )
  Re: insert/update tps slow with indices on table > 1M rows  (James Mansion, )
 Re: insert/update tps slow with indices on table > 1M rows  (andrew klassen, )
  Re: insert/update tps slow with indices on table > 1M rows  (PFC, )
  Re: insert/update tps slow with indices on table > 1M rows  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: insert/update tps slow with indices on table > 1M rows  ("Heikki Linnakangas", )
On Tue, 3 Jun 2008, andrew klassen wrote:
> Basically, I have a somewhat constant rate of inserts/updates that go
> into a work queue and then get passed to postgres.

> The cpu load is not that high, i.e. plenty of idle cpu. I am running an older
> version of freebsd and the iostat output is not very detailed.

If you're running a "work queue" architecture, that probably means you
only have one thread doing all the updates/inserts? It might be worth
going multi-threaded, and issuing inserts and updates through more than
one connection. Postgres is designed pretty well to scale performance by
the number of simultaneous connections.

Matthew

--
Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly. It just happens to be
very selective about who its friends are.                 -- Kyle Hearn