Re: Planner mis-estimation using nested loops followup

От Matthew
Тема Re: Planner mis-estimation using nested loops followup
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Chris Kratz wrote:
> In moderately complex to very complex ad hoc queries in our system, we
> were consistently having the system massively underestimate the number
> of rows coming out of join at a low level making these queries very slow
> and inefficient.

I have long thought that perhaps Postgres should be a little more cautious
about its estimates, and assume the worst case scenario sometimes, rather
than blindly following the estimates from the statistics. The problem is
that Postgres uses the statistics to generate best estimates of the cost.
However, it does not take into account the consequences of being wrong. If
it was more clever, then it may be able to decide to use a non-optimal
algorithm according to the best estimate, if the optimal algorithm has the
possibility of blowing up to 1000 times the work if the estimates are off
by a bit.

Such cleverness would be very cool, but (I understand) a lot of work. It
would hopefully solve this problem.

Matthew

--
<Taking apron off> And now you can say honestly that you have been to a
lecture where you watched paint dry.