Re: Planner mis-estimation using nested loops followup

От KC ESL
Тема Re: Planner mis-estimation using nested loops followup
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
At 00:24 08/03/19, Matthew wrote:
>On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Chris Kratz wrote:
>>In moderately complex to very complex ad hoc queries in our system,
>>we were consistently having the system massively underestimate the
>>number of rows coming out of join at a low level making these
>>queries very slow and inefficient.
>
>I have long thought that perhaps Postgres should be a little more
>cautious about its estimates, and assume the worst case scenario
>sometimes, rather than blindly following the estimates from the
>statistics. The problem is that Postgres uses the statistics to
>generate best estimates of the cost. However, it does not take into
>account the consequences of being wrong. If it was more clever, then
>it may be able to decide to use a non-optimal algorithm according to
>the best estimate, if the optimal algorithm has the possibility of
>blowing up to 1000 times the work if the estimates are off by a bit.
>
>Such cleverness would be very cool, but (I understand) a lot of
>work. It would hopefully solve this problem.
>
>Matthew

Just a crazy thought. If Postgres could check its own estimates or
set some limits while executing the query and, if it found that the
estimates were way off, fall back to a less optimal plan immediately
or the next time, that would be cool.

KC

Сообщение: Re: What is the best way to storage music files in Postgresql
Сообщение: Re: What is the best way to storage music files in Postgresql