Re: which distro, or to build

От Joshua Kramer
Тема Re: which distro, or to build
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
David,

I'm not sure what dependencies the RH-provided PG RPM's have, but I've had
no problems whatsoever installing a series of PG-sourced RPM's from 8.1 on
up to 8.2.3, on CentOS 4 (which is binary-compatible with RHEL4).

Actually, there is one minor glitch; some apps that use PG require an
older version of libpq, but the Postgres website provides a "compat
postgreql libs" for this purpose.

In any case, if you are using the PG-supplied RPM's and you know you're
installing everything, simply run RPM like so:

rpm -i --nodeps postgres-whatever.rpm

I usually use OS-vendor supplied RPMS for things like Apache, except in
cases where the project-supplied RPM's have additional features over and
above the RHEL/CentOS RPM's.  Things like Postgres and Python fall under
this category.

Cheers,
-Josh