Re: Upgrade Problem: 7.4.3 -> 8.1.2

От Rich Shepard
Тема Re: Upgrade Problem: 7.4.3 -> 8.1.2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Doug McNaught wrote:

> pg_dumpall writes to standard output, so you should have seen an enormous
> spew of data at your terminal. I'm surprised you didn't. The manpages in
> the official Postgres documentation are quite clear about the behavior of
> these utilities; your book doesn't seem to be.

Doug,

   Well, it was not an enormous spew, but the data did scroll by on the
terminal.

> This preserves the old data and binaries so you can back out if you need
> to. Naturally you need enough disk space for three copies of the data.

   That's not an issue. Small data sets and sufficient disk space.

> Now, since you're using a distribution's packages and upgrade procedure,
> it's not clear what happened to your data. You might want to look at the
> server logfiles (if any) and ask on the Slackware mailing lists to see if
> anyone else has had this problem.

   I did write to the package's author, too. I can restore the old version
from the backup tape if need be.

   Well, so much for the book. It did seem to be rather sparse on the upgrade.
Hmmm-m-m. Wonder what is the most efficient way to get going again. Think
I'll try the 'pg_dumpall -format=c' from the old directory and see if there's
a new file there.

Many thanks,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"

Сообщение: Re: Upgrade Problem: 7.4.3 -> 8.1.2
Сообщение: Re: Upgrade Problem: 7.4.3 -> 8.1.2