Re: Upgrade Problem: 7.4.3 -> 8.1.2

От Doug McNaught
Тема Re: Upgrade Problem: 7.4.3 -> 8.1.2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> writes:

>    Well, so much for the book. It did seem to be rather sparse on the upgrade.
> Hmmm-m-m. Wonder what is the most efficient way to get going again. Think
> I'll try the 'pg_dumpall -format=c' from the old directory and see if there's
> a new file there.

I don't think pg_dumpall supports the 'c' format--it only does SQL
(which should work fine for you unless you have large objects, which I
doubt SQL-Ledger uses).  Furthermore, whenever you use pg_dump or
pg_dumpall, you need to redirect it to a file:

$ pg_dumpall > /var/tmp/backup.sql

Otherwise the backup will go to your terminal and nowhere else--not
very useful.  :)

I highly suggest you read:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/backup.html

Since it looks like you have both old and new data directories, you
might be able to get the old server running again, dump out the data
and load it into the new server.  Depends on whether your old binaries
got blown away by the upgrade.

PG is a bit tricky to upgrade and I haven't yet seen a distro upgrade
script that works really well.

-Doug