Re: duplicate rows mystery

От Gerry Jensen
Тема Re: duplicate rows mystery
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Yes.  I tried it several times, dropping the newly created table each
time.  I'm wondering if my database is just corrupt.

My indexes in my original table were definitely corrupt (I originally had
a unique (symbol, date) index).  I discovered this when certain queries
failed to return certain rows (e.g. selecting on a specific date), but
different queries did return those rows (e.g. selecting a range of dates
that included the missing date).  When I dropped the indexes, I was able
to again see the missing rows with the specific date query.  Apparently
the index corruption had allowed the duplicate rows to be inserted in the
first place.

So perhaps there's something seriously wrong with my database and I need
to start over from scratch.  The main reason for my post is that I wanted
to make sure I was understanding "DISTINCT ON" correctly and there was
nothing wrong with my logic.  If those things look fine and logical to
everyone, then my posting here has been beneficial to me.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

Gerry