Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root"

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root"
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> Peter,
>
>     You may well be on the development team, but you are wrong for
> one very important reason.  If the Postgresql executables are owned by
> root they execute with the priviledges of root.   Thereby any local
> created extensions like database_size also execute with the priviledges
> of root.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if some disgruntled person or a
> hacker wrote & installed a package that did an rm -fr /??  Install
> Postgres in it's own account where it's priviledges to destroy the
> server are restricted.  Anything else is begging for trouble.

Actually this is not true at any level. In order for the file
to execute as root it must be setuid root, the ownership is irrelevant
at that point.

If what you said were true, then almost every binary on a Linux system
would execute as root.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Co-Founder
Command Prompt, Inc.

Сообщение: Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!
Сообщение: Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root"