Re: Does PostgreSQL Stores its database in multiple disks?

От Christian Fowler
Тема Re: Does PostgreSQL Stores its database in multiple disks?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

Igor,

I would recommend you investigate LVM:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

This enables you to string multiple physical units into a single volume -
as well as expand and grow the volume. I am unsure about postgres
consequences of this for as much data as you have, so I will leave it up
to others to comment about this.

However, my recommendation is for a modest investment of a third 120GB
drive and a RAID card, you could do RAID 5 with 3 disks and get 240GB of
storage.

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Igor Maciel Macaubas wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I have a PostgreSQL server, running 7.4.2, that will store a really
> large amount of data (200GB) being migrated from an Oracle database. I
> have a machine with two 120GB Ultra ATA IDE disks, and I'd like to know
> if PostgreSQL could split it over both disks (that gives me 240GB or
> storage). Does he do this automatically ? Or I'll have to split it
> manually, creating symbolic links on my file system (ext3)? Does anyone
> ever stored a database (see, it's ONE database only, not a cluster) on
> multiple disks ?
>
> What about PgSQL 8? It'll include this feature?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> Igor
> --