Re: Lots of postmaster processes

От Ameet Kini
Тема Re: Lots of postmaster processes
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

We're running on tao linux.  And yes, there are many client connection
requests sent to the server at the same time. My impression was that
client connection requests usually show up as a postgres process not
postmaster but I could be wrong.  Is it that the postmaster forks off a
process on receiving a client connection request and then renames the
process to postgres and I'm issuing my ps command while its in the
intermediate state when its still called postmaster?

Thanks,
Ameet

 On Tue, 13 Dec
2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> Ameet Kini <akini@cs.wisc.edu> writes:
> > In our installation of the postgres 7.4.7, we are seeing a lot of the
> > following postmaster processes (around 50) being spawned by the initial
> > postmaster process once in a while:
>
> Lots of postmaster processes can only come from lots of connection
> requests.  You need to look at the behavior of your client code and
> see why it's doing that.
>
> It might also be helpful to use a "ps" command that shows you the
> per-process state displays rather than the original postmaster arguments.
> What platform are you on?  The only one I know of offhand that does
> the latter by default is Solaris --- see FAQ_Solaris for how to work
> around it.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Ameet