Re: Backup and restore from 7.4.1 to latest, crossing

От Kilian Hagemann
Тема Re: Backup and restore from 7.4.1 to latest, crossing
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Mark,

> I currently have a defunct Debian 3.0 system running PostgreSQL 7.4.1, in
> which I am going to do an entire blob backup dump of all the databases in
> hopes to restore them on my new, more secure system running the latest
> OpenBSD, and PgSQL 8.0.
>
> So my question is: Are they any issues that I should be aware up restoring
> on a more recent version of PgSQL, and/or issues using a completely
> different operating system altogether? I have some strange pg language
> mishaps going from 7.2 to 7.4 last backup, although frightening, I overcame
> them with some fiddling.

I just upgraded from 7.4.8 (same format as 7.4.1) to 8.0.3 using the
pg_dump/pg_restore method described in the documentation, and I did not
encounter any issues. Although my system did not change, I don't think
you'll encounter any issues due to a different operating system since the
dump is just a single regular file containing all necessary information to
restore your database(s), its interpretation is up to pg_restore and not
your OS.

Hope this helps,

Kilian