Re: cast not IMMUTABLE?

От Sam Barnett-Cormack
Тема Re: cast not IMMUTABLE?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Fri, 7 May 2004, Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a table with ~ 3e+6 rows on it.
>
> I do select on this table in this way:
>

> (1) select * from user_logs where login_time::date = now()::date;
>

> consider that login_time is a TIMESTAMPTZ with an index on it.
>
> If I use the select in this way:
>
> select * from user_logs where login_time = now();
>
> the the index is used.
>
> I'm trying to use define and index in order to help the query (1):
>

> test# create index idx on user_logs ( (login_time::date) );
> ERROR:  functions in index expression must be marked IMMUTABLE
>

> why that cast is not considered IMMUTABLE ?
>

> How can I define an index for the query (1) ?

The way I have done such queries hs been to create functions, marked
immutable, that encapsulate the cast/non-immutable internal function, if
I know that it *is* really immutable, at least for my purposes, and use
a functional index.

--
Sam Barnett-Cormack
Software Developer                           |  Student of Physics & Maths