Re: Row locking during UPDATE

От David F. Skoll
Тема Re: Row locking during UPDATE
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Sam Barnett-Cormack wrote:

> It might be worth racking your brains to think of other ways. Query
> timeouts?

Either way, if the back-end is waiting on a semaphore, will it time
out the query and terminate?  The problem is lots of waiting back-end
processes.

> why not make it store a new record for each instance, and have a cronjob
> each day update the statistics from that. It will be more efficient,
> overall. It can be done hourly, even.

I posted a compromise solution:  A "low-contention" table that reduces
the likelihood of contention.  Adding a new record could result in pretty
large tables that need to be summarised.  I'll play around with the
low-contention table first.

Regards,

David.