Re: massive quotes?

От Jon Jensen
Тема Re: massive quotes?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> >>Many discussions, but no final conclusion in sight, it seems. That
> >>\beginliteral stuff is psql centric, where a sql syntax solution is needed.
> >
> >Oh, is it?  Didn't people agree that other frontends (pgAdmin,
> >phpPgAdmin, etc) have solutions for the problem already?

I would really prefer a general SQL block quoting mechanism. Although I
can use Perl to escape all the quotes in a function block, it'd be really
nice to be able to do everything in SQL.

May I bring up here documents again? They have the advantage over the
COPY-like mechanism of being general, e.g.:

INSERT INTO sometable (field1, field2)
VALUES (1234, <<EOF
A really
long
text block's place
in the world
EOF
);

as well as being very nice in a function definition. What do others think
of that?

Jon