A problem

От Sam Barnett-Cormack
Тема A problem
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I have a problem partly caused by stupidity, which I desperately need to
fix if at all possible. Me and a colleague have tried fixing it and
may've made it worse...

I have a reasonably big db (21GB on disk, fully vaccuumed). I upgraded
from 7.3.2 to 7.3.3, forgetting to shut it down cleanly first. It then
got killed, for reasons best forgotten, with signal 15 to th main
postmaster.

On attempting to restart it, an error with the initscript, which came in
teh source RPM, led to it partially stomping some bits of the DB,
including pg_control in global. I have the old xlogs, clogs, everything.
I removed the 'new' data subdirectory. The init script was pointed at
/db/data when it should've been just /db, I still have the old
/data/base dir, all that has been altered in there (recent mtime) is
base/1175459/pg_internal.init

Attemtping to use the pg_resetxlog command (having backed up pg_control
and all the xlogs), we managed to start the server again - however, on
connecting to it with psql, it still had the right DB in teh cluster
('stats') but it claimed this db was completely empty.

I have kept everything I've tried reversible as far as my and my
colleagues knowledge allowed.

I hope someone can suggest something - I'm desperate! It'll take weeks
to re-input that data automatically.

Thanks

--

Sam Barnett-Cormack
Software Developer                           |  Student of Physics & Maths