What kind of index to use for many rows with few unique values?

От David F. Skoll
Тема What kind of index to use for many rows with few unique values?
Дата
Re: What kind of index to use for many rows with few unique values?  ("Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>)
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

I have a table with a column called "state".  Each row can be in one
of four states, let's call them 'new', 'pending', 'ok', and 'bad'.
On average, about 95% of the rows will be 'bad', with the remaining
5% being in one of the other three states.  If the table has 50K rows
and I just want to pull out the 'ok' rows, I don't want to do a sequential
scan.  To pull out the 'bad' rows, obviously, sequential scan is fine.

I've heard that a btree index performs badly in this situation.  Is
a hash index appropriate?  I've heard bad things about hash indexes in
PostgreSQL.

Regards,

David.

Roaring Penguin Software Inc. | http://www.roaringpenguin.com
GPG fingerprint: C523 771C 3710 0F54 B2D2 4B0D C6EF 6991 34AB 95BA
GPG public key:  http://www.roaringpenguin.com/dskoll-key-2002.txt ID: 34AB95BA