Re: roundoff problem in time datatype

От Dennis Bjorklund
Тема Re: roundoff problem in time datatype
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Yes, and it can go up to 23:59:60.999999 (depending on how many fractional
> > seconds one want).
>
> That's an urban legend.  There never have been, and never will be, two
> leap seconds instituted in the same minute.  We really should reject
> anything larger than '23:59:60'.

The above is still just one leap second. The time continues to tick until
it wraps over to 00:00:00. So for example a time value of 23:59:60.42
exists if we allow just one leap second.

> > One "solution" is to round '23:59:59.9'::time(0) up to '00:00:00'.
>
> 7.2 did that, and we concluded it was broken.

Doesn't mean that it necissary was a correct conclusion (and I'm not
stating that it was wrong, I would like to think about it for a while
before I claim something like that).

Do the sql standard say anything on the matter?

--
/Dennis Björklund