Re: Proposal - Continue stmt for PL/pgSQL

От Pavel Stehule
Тема Re: Proposal - Continue stmt for PL/pgSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> Well, yes, but I don't think we should break compatibility
> arbitrarilly.  I guess it could be argued that this is a missing feature
> in PL/SQL and its Ada parent -  implementing GOTO just to handle this
> case seems  unnecessary.

Yes. I din't use goto 5 years :-). Continue stmt is more cleaner and
readable.

now:   FOR i IN 1 .. 100 LOOP    continue := true    WHILE continue LOOP      ...      EXIT; -- contine      continue
:=false; -- really exit    END LOOP;  END LOOP;

with continue
 FOR i IN 1 .. 100 LOOP   ...   EXIT WHEN ..   CONTINUE WHEN .. END LOOP;

One argument for continue inside begin block - for discussion only.
on loop exit means break iteration, continue new iteration. Continue and
Exit are symmetric.

I didn't know ADA haven't continue. In PL/pgSQL there isn't any problem
implement continue stmt (wit any face), but goto stmt means relative big
changes in source code.

Pavel