Re: locale

От Dennis Bjorklund
Тема Re: locale
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> >> solution, which is per-column locale settings within databases.
>
> > Of course, but that solution might be many years ahead.
>
> Peter E. seems to think that it's not an infeasible amount of work.
> (See previous discussion that he mentioned earlier in this thread.)

I don't know how it should work in theory yet, much less what an
implementation would look like.

What happens when you have two columns with different locales and try to
compare them with with the operator <. Is the locale part of the string
type, like text@sv_SE.UTF-8. What does that do to overloaded functions.
What would happen when a locale and an encoding does not match. Should one
just assume that it wont happen.

I've got lots of questions like that, some are probably answered by the
sql standard and others maybe don't have an answer.

> Basically, I'd rather see us tackle that than expend effort on
> kluging CREATE DATABASE to allow per-database locales.

Don't think for a second that I don't want this. You are an american that
live in a ASCII world and you wants this. You can not imagine how much I
want it :-)

--
/Dennis Björklund