Re: Fixed width rows faster?

От Dennis Bjorklund
Тема Re: Fixed width rows faster?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> > places is to ensure that the column can be indexed. Postgres, it seems,
> > refuses to insert a string that is longer than some value into an
> > indexed column, and I'll rather have such errors flagged while inserting
>
> Care to provide some details of this?  It sure sounds like a bug to
> me, if it's true.  I've never run into anything like this, though.

There is a limit of the size of values that can be indexed. I think it's
8k or something (a block I assume). Something for someone with an itch to
fix in the future.

The error however comes when you try to insert the value. Doing a reindex
will not change the length of the value and will always work.

--
/Dennis Björklund