Re: Alternative cluster location

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Alternative cluster location
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Karl DeBisschop writes:

> On linux, you may also want to consider the most recent proposed FHS,
> which suggests a top-level /srv directory used for 'data generated by
> users for the services the system offers'

Interesting, but I'm not sure it's appropriate.  Considering the examples
offered for /srv: www, ftp, rsync, cvs, it's more intended for placing
actual files there to be served to the outside.  (In case of CVS that's
not quite right, admittedly.)  On the other hand, database files are more
like IMAP folders, which are internal state information that can only
(reasonably) be read or written via some (possibly remote) program.
Maybe we should pose that question to the FHS group.

> Personally, I like the FHS and would prefer that the various distros
> installed postgresql in a manner more consistent with it

I think they are doing quite well.  What complaints do you have?

> (and if necessary that the postgresql configs were modified to make that
> and easier alternative.)

I don't think there are any problems on the configure/make side.  Do you
know of any?

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net