Re: testing for usable C compiler

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: testing for usable C compiler
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> Yeah.  I would suggest doing it at the "check that C compiler still
> works" stage, after we think we have all the CFLAGS.  Couldn't we just
> throw a prototyped function into that test program?

The standard Autoconf prototype test is pretty involved (see
AC_PROG_CC_STDC in /usr/local/share/autoconf/autoconf/c.m4 or whatever).
Maybe you can come up with a smaller test for now that fails on the
lame-excuse compiler on HP-UX?  If you don't want to merge it in yourself,
feel free to just send me a .c file that fails to compile and I'll
integrate it.

But: What's the error message going to be?  Is "compiler does not accept
prototypes" going to be clearer for the user than what he gets now?
(What does he get now anyway?  Does it fail to compile something down the
road?)

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net