Re: Concatenation Snafu

От Thomas Good
Тема Re: Concatenation Snafu
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Chad Thompson" <chad@weblinkservices.com> writes:
> > The assumtion that char and varchar can be compared is gone.
>
> The real problem is that we have too dang many || operators; there's
> no reason to have char||char, varchar||varchar, *and* text||text.
> The parser can't decide which of the first two to prefer, so it
> punts.  If we got rid of both and left only text||text, all would be
> well.

I'd prefer we matched Oracle syntax whenever possible.  Then again I
don't like typing all that much.  ;-)

> Thomas is wrong to claim that this used to behave differently; all
> versions I have handy to test, back to 7.0, give the same error.

You are correct.  I checked it again: I must have tripped over this
before as the datatypes on one system (7.3.1) don't match the other
(7.3.2) in essentially the same table.

Thomas Good                                  e-mail: tomg@sqlclinic.net
Programmer/Analyst                           phone:   (+1) 718.818.5528
Residential Services                         fax:     (+1) 718.818.5056
Behavioral Health Services, SVCMC-NY         mobile:  (+1) 917.282.7359

// Krieg ist selbst Terror - F�r Frieden und globale Gerechtigkeit!

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: