Re: more adequate usage msg: pg_controldata.diff

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: more adequate usage msg: pg_controldata.diff
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
Bruce Momjian writes:

> It is my understanding that -a and the like are _flags_.  PGDATA is an
> optional argument, or "option" for short.  I don't see how having a dash
> is required to make something an option.  When I do:
>
>     cat [-t -v] [file ...]
>
> I consider "file" to be an optional argument, or option.  It of course
> isn't a flag.

I disagree.  The things passed to the main()  function are "arguments",
hence the names argc and argv.  The things with the dashes are "options",
hence the name of the function getopt().  There are optional arguments,
there are optional options.  Also, options can take arguments or not.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Сообщение: Re: pg_dump a specific schema
Сообщение: Re: pg_dump a specific schema