Re: more adequate usage msg: pg_controldata.diff

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: more adequate usage msg: pg_controldata.diff
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > > I explained in my last message that this patch is wrong.  Please revert
> > > it.  (DATADIR is not an option and therefore it shouldn't be listed in the
> > > options list.)
> >
> > I tried to subtely point out that it is optional.
>
> But the help output is wrong.  It lists DATADIR as an option, which it is
> not.  (An option is something like -a or --foo.  The other things are
> arguments.)  See my message to Serguei about how to do it better.

It is my understanding that -a and the like are _flags_.  PGDATA is an
optional argument, or "option" for short.  I don't see how having a dash
is required to make something an option.  When I do:

    cat [-t -v] [file ...]

I consider "file" to be an optional argument, or option.  It of course
isn't a flag.