Re: Help - moving data to new table structure

От Jakub Ouhrabka
Тема Re: Help - moving data to new table structure
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I'm not sure if your new design is better than the older but you perhaps
know what you are doing...

Try to solve it with a plpgsql function:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION contact_type(contacts.contact_pk%TYPE) RETURNS
VARCHAR AS '
DECLARE
  a_pk ALIAS FOR $1;
  l_contact_type VARCHAR;
  lr_rec RECORD;
BEGIN
  l_contact_type := '''';
  FOR lr_rec IN SELECT * FROM contact_types WHERE contact_pk = a_pk LOOP
    l_contact_type := l_contact_type || '','' || lr_rec.contact_type;
  END LOOP;

  l_contact_type := substr(l_contact_type, 2);

  RETURN l_contact_type;
END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

and then you can do something like this:

CREATE TABLE new_contacts AS SELECT *, contact_type(contact_pk) FROM
contacts;

Totally untested but you have the idea...

It is also possible to write your own aggregate function to do this but it
is probably overkill...

HTH,                   kuba