Re: Out of memory error on huge resultset

От Aaron Mulder
Тема Re: Out of memory error on huge resultset
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
On 12 Oct 2002, Nic Ferrier wrote:
> That's a really good point Barry. I never do that so it's not
> something I'd considered.
>
> Isn't a solution to only do the to_cursor translation when the
> statement given begins with "SELECT "?

    Well, there's always the case of "select * from
really_small_table; insert into reall_small table; select * from
really_big_table;..."

    In practice, I've used some 100+ statement commands, because we
run updates to one or our internal databases in DBVisualizer, and it
passes the entire script as one command.  On the other hand, those are all
updates, but there's nothing preventing you from putting some selects in
there.

    I think it's best to do what Barry mentioned and disable this for
statements containing a ; (or at least containing a ; with any non
whitespace thereafter).  Then just consider whether you want to search for
quoted/escaped ;s.

Aaron

> I agree that it's far from perfect, but it will do for _most_ cases
> won't it?
>

> Interestingly, I don't think what you've speced above is even
> possible with some databases is it? Another advantage of using
> PostgreSQL is that you must properly terminate your SQL statements,
> unlike with some commercial databases I could mention.

Сообщение: Re: Out of memory error on huge resultset
Сообщение: Re: Out of memory error on huge resultset