Re: Upgrading on RH72

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Upgrading on RH72
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Patrick Nelson dijo:

> Finally realized that the problems that I'm having are because my server is
> RH72 running server 7.1.3-2 and my clients are RH73 running 7.2.1-5 and the
> clients don't seem backward compatible.  So I thought I would upgrade the
> server to RH73... OK that's not going to work.  So I grabbed the latest 72
> rpms from a PostgreSQL mirror which have the version that looks like
> 7.2.1-2, so this should work.  Anyone have success with this?  I think it
> said something about having to initdb...  what does this mean?

It means you'll have to dump your database using pg_dump (of the 7.1.3
version currently installed), then upgrade (rpm -U postgresql-7.2.1),
then restore the dump (by means of psql < dump, or using pg_restore).
Be sure to read the manpages for pg_dump and pg_restore if you haven't
done so.

BTW, the PGDG RPMs should take care of the upgrading process
automatically, but there are always pitfalls so you may as well be
careful.

> What does the PGDG stand for in the filename (i.e.
> postgresql-7.2.1-2PGDG.i386.rpm)?

"PostegreSQL Global Development Group", as opposed to the RPMs built by
RedHat, Mandrake, etc.

"La tristeza es un muro entre dos jardines" (Khalil Gibran)