Re: Open 7.3 items

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Open 7.3 items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen writes:

> >     allow specification of configuration files in a different directory

> I am going to review the previous thread and attempt to distill what can be
> done.  I will then post a summary of what I found, with potential commentary.
> If a consensus is reached, I'd like to see the feature in 7.3.

The end result of the discussion was that no one could come up with a
bright idea to secure the configuration files without doing anything bogus
during installation.

Another issue, which becomes even more problematic if you factor in the
WAL file location discussion, is that if we drive the location of the data
from the configuration file instead of vice versa, we need to have initdb
smart enough to read those files.

Finally, I recall that a major reason to have these files in a separate
place is to be able to share them.  But that won't work because those
files contain port numbers, data directory locations, etc. which can't be
shared.  That needs a better plan than possibly "use command-line options
to override".

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net