Re: Open 7.3 items

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: Open 7.3 items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 01 August 2002 04:06 pm, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Another issue, which becomes even more problematic if you factor in the
> WAL file location discussion, is that if we drive the location of the data
> from the configuration file instead of vice versa, we need to have initdb
> smart enough to read those files.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about that -- but I like that idea.  Not exclusive of
the existing way, either.  But alongside it.  More thought required.

> Finally, I recall that a major reason to have these files in a separate
> place is to be able to share them.  But that won't work because those
> files contain port numbers, data directory locations, etc. which can't be
> shared.  That needs a better plan than possibly "use command-line options
> to override".

No, the major reason was to allow the config files to live in a different area
than the data files without symlink kludges.  The reasons why an admin might
want this are manifold.  The reason I want it is to simplify multiple
postmasters in an RPM installation.

You can then blow away the whole PGDATA tree and start from scratch without
losing your config files.

You had an idea along these lines, and I was quite OK with the majority of it.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio