Re: How to Welcome Windows Users (was Re: 7.5 features)

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: How to Welcome Windows Users (was Re: 7.5 features)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Richard Huxton wrote:

> On Tuesday 27 April 2004 14:27, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Here are features that are being worked on, hopefully for 7.5:
> >
> >     o  tablespaces (Gavin)
> >     o  nested transactions (Alvaro)
> >     o  two-phase commit (Heikki Linnakangas)
> >     o  integrated pg_autovacuum (O'Connor)
> >     o  PITR (Riggs)
> >     o  Win32 (Claudio, Magnus)
> >
> > If we get the majority of them, and I think we will, this will be a
> > great release.
>
> Sounds like the biggest release since 7.0 to me, and all good stuff. I do have
> a nagging concern with the Windows support though. I'm guessing most people
> running Windows servers will either be running php on top, or have windows
> clients. AFAIK this means .NET or ODBC, and for older Access-based systems
> upgrading definitely ODBC.
>
> Dave Page has bravely stepped into the breach to maintain the ODBC driver, but
> the niggles in it will generate a flood of support messages as Windows users
> test it out. Basically, I'm asking what would need to be done technically for
> the ODBC driver, and is there anything a non-hacker can do to help?

I would say the OLE-DB driver would be nice to have ready to go.  There
are apparently a few projects on source forge to make one that are making
good progress, and it would be nice to have a fairly workable solution
about the time 7.5 rolls out.

Сообщение: Re: PITR Phase 2 - Design Planning
Сообщение: Re: PITR Phase 2 - Design Planning