Re: Crash in postgres/linux on verly large database

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: Crash in postgres/linux on verly large database
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Bernhard Ankenbrand wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we have a table width about 60.000.000 entrys and about 4GB storage size.
> When creating an index on this table the whole linux box freezes and the
> reiser-fs file system is corrupted on not recoverable.
>
> Does anybody have experience with this amount of data in postgres 7.4.2?
> Is there a limit anywhere?

If your file system is getting corrupted, then you likely have found a bug
in reiserfs or the linux kernel.  While some pgsql bug might be able to
corrupt the contents of a file belonging to it, it doesn't have the power
to corrupt the file system itself.

Or is the problem a corrupted database, not a corrupted file system?