Re: concat strings but spaces

От Ron St-Pierre
Тема Re: concat strings but spaces
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Matthias Teege wrote:

>Moin,
>
>I try to concat values from three fields in a function like this:
>
>create or replace function
> fconcat_name(varchar, varchar, varchar) returns varchar as '
>    declare
>    ttl alias for $1;
>    vnm alias for $2;
>    nme alias for $3;
>    begin
>     return ttl || '' '' || vnm || '' '' || nme;
>    end;
>' language plpgsql;
>
>That works but if one of the fields is empty there are to much
>spaces in the result. Is there any alternative to a monster
>if-then construct?
>
>Many thanks
>Matthias

>TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

There are a few ways to do this, one is by using the COALESCE function
which returns the first of its arguments that is not null.
eg
select coalesce('123' || ' ' || 456, null);
 coalesce
 123 456
(1 row)

You could have a few COALESCE calls, or use a CASE expression, or use IF
statements.

Ron

От: "scott.marlowe"
Сообщение: Re: Crash in postgres/linux on verly large database
От: Richard Huxton
Сообщение: Re: Error on deleting