Re: Installing Postgres w/RH9

От Roderick A. Anderson
Тема Re: Installing Postgres w/RH9
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 Lynn.Tilby@asu.edu wrote:

> I just installed RH9 on a new machine and installed postgres in the
> installation process.  I got the following error when trying to
> start the postmaster so... I tried removing the postgres software
> then reinstalling.  rpm first said the software was not installed
> then when I tried to reinstall rpm said it was already installed.

I've seen this happen but never been able to figure out exactly what
caused it.

> How do I solve this problem?

First navigate to /var/lib/rpm and remove the three files that begin with
double underscores typically named __db.001, __db.002, and __db.003

When trying to remove packages I use the rpm -qa | grep xxx to determine
the actual package names.  If, like the case of PostgreSQL, they are all
lumped together with a naming that is common to all the packages I use
this

    rpm -e $(rpm -qa | grep postgres)

and nuke them all.

Also make sure that you have stopped the postmaster (PostgreSQL) before
trying to remove the packages.  /etc/init.d/postgresql stop

Good luck to you.
Rod