Re: initdb failure (was Re: [GENERAL] sequence's plpgsql)

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: initdb failure (was Re: [GENERAL] sequence's plpgsql)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> writes:
> >
> > > There's no clean answer to this on Cygwin.  This specific case is just a
> > > little problem that we could solve locally, but in general you'll just end
> > > up annoying people if you require them to use consistent line endings on
> > > Cygwin.
> >
> > Yeah, I was wondering whether you wouldn't propose dropping the newline
> > consistency check.  I'm not very comfortable with that, but maybe we
> > should.  Bruce?
>
> I posted on that a few minutes ago.  Yea, we can drop it, but we risk
> eating carraige returns as data values.  I am not sure how consistently
> we output literal carriage returns in old dumps, nor how many apps
> produce on literal carriage returns in COPY. If we conditionally eat
> them, we run the risk of discarding some of their data without warning.
> Perhaps we can throw a warning rather than an error, and adjust initdb
> to be consistent.

I'm running into issues where 7.4's pg_dump/pg_dumpall from a 7.2 database
to a 7.4beta3 database is producing some errors like this:

ERROR:  literal newline found in data
HINT:  Use "\n" to represent newline.
CONTEXT:  COPY FROM, line 59

ERROR:  literal carriage return found in data
HINT:  Use "\r" to represent carriage return.
CONTEXT:  COPY FROM, line 41

These show up with little or no context, only the "line number" of the
dump file.  Since I'm wrapping these up in pg_dumpall, I don't have the
dump file so I don't know where the error is really occuring.  It would be
nice to have such occurances echo the table / row they are getting the
error on, or maybe just the first 20 or so characters, so they'd be easier
to identify.

Is this related to this issue?

Сообщение: Re: initdb failure (was Re: [GENERAL] sequence's plpgsql)
Сообщение: Re: initdb failure (was Re: [GENERAL] sequence's plpgsql)