Re: State of Beta 2

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: State of Beta 2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
As I understand it, changes that require the dump restore fall into two
categories, catalog changes, and on disk format changes.  If that's the
case (I'm as likely wrong as right here, I know) then it could be that
most upgrades (say 7.4 to 7.5) could be accomplished more easier than the
occasional ones that require actual disk format changes (i.e. 7.5 to 8.0)

If that's the case, I'd imagine that as postgresql gets more mature, on
disk upgrades should become easier to implement, and dump/restore would
only be required for major version upgrades at some point.

Is that about right, and if so, would it make maintaining this kind of
program simpler if it only had to handle catalog changes?