Re: Backup routine

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: Backup routine
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, Christopher Browne wrote:

> Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when pgman@candle.pha.pa.us (Bruce Momjian) would write:
> > Christopher Browne wrote:
> >>
> >> I heard D'Arcy Cain indicate that some SAN systems (I think he
> >> mentioned NetApp) support this sort of thing, too.  Digital's AdvFS
> >> also supports it.
> >>
> >> Of course, if you take this approach, you have to make _certain_
> >> that when you "freeze" a replica of a filesystem, that _ALL_ of the
> >> database is contained in that one filesystem.  If you move WAL to a
> >> different filesystem, bets would be off again...
> >
> > Also, I assume you have to stop the server just for a moment while
> > you do the freeze, right?
>
> I'm sure that's _preferable_.
>
> Supposing you don't, the result is that the backup will be treated
> much like the condition where a server is "terminated by power
> failure," and, at restart, the system will have to rummage around the
> WAL to clean up a bit.

Note that many NAS storage systems support a "snapshot" mechanism that
basically does this in about 1/10th of a second.

It produced horrible hickups for our Linux boxen with default NFS
settings, whereby our NFS mounts would disappear for three or four minutes
after a snapshot.

I've never, by the way, run my database on a NAS, and probably never will,
if I have any say in it.  We just use NAS for static document storage
(hundreds of gigs of it.)