Re: Error message using pg_dump with tar format

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: Error message using pg_dump with tar format
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Nick Fankhauser - Doxpop wrote:

> Hi-
>
> I'm getting the following error message:
>
> pg_dump: [tar archiver] could not write to tar member (wrote 39, attempted
> 166)
>
> Here are the particulars:
>
> -I'm running this command: "pg_dump -Ft prod | prod.dump.tar" (The database
> is named prod)

Are you sure you're not running:

pg_dump -Ft prod > prod.dump.tar

??  As using a | should try to run a program called prod.dump.tar, which
should either error out as not existing, or if it exists, error out as not
being executable / shell can't find it's interpreter.

> -The table it quits on is fairly large- about 2.6GB. It is both "wide"
> because it contains a text field that is usually a few sentences of text,
> and "long", containing 9,137,808 records. This is also the only table in our
> database that is split into multiple files.

Maybe a file size limit on that box is being hit?