Re: cvs problem

От John Summerfield
Тема Re: cvs problem
Дата
Re: cvs problem  (Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com>)
Re: cvs problem  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Re: cvs problem  (Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Monday 01 October 2001 07:33 pm, John Summerfield wrote:
> > It seems you don't have to be new here to be a bit peeved about things;-(
> [snip]
> > Time to get your act together fellas.
>
> This is open source John, not rocket science. (pun intended)

Hmm. Kids I was at school with were building rockets in their backyards.
OSS is similarly a backyard affair. Awhere's the difference;-)

> Lighten up.  The release will happen, regardless of minor server issues (that
> are being worked out right now, even as I write, by highly capable
> professionals, who, BTW, are doing this on a volunteer basis).

I appreciate the volunteer point. However, a project in disarray is a project in disarray
whether volunteer or not.

And the discussion that followed my original report of the CVS problem looked to memore like finger-pointing than a
realeffort to locate and fix the problem, or to help me on my way.

I know I'm not well-known here, but I've made my contributions in other arenas where I'm stronger.

PG isn't perfect - we all know that. Nor is the project administration. When there's a problem identified, someone has
totake responsibility for fixing it, and someone has to ensure the person reporting the problem has a way forward.

Changing the CVS repository so it doesn't work the same way any more isn't smart. Having wrong documentation isn't
smart.Taking two weeks and NOT fixing a simple problem isn't smart. Giving wrong advice isn't smart. Test your advice -
wherepossible I do.

"Lighten up" isn't the right response. Examine your project. See what points
I make have merit. Welcome criticism. You don't have to like the message you know;-)