Re: Upgrading PostgreSQL to 7.1.3

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Upgrading PostgreSQL to 7.1.3
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Gordon Clarke writes:

> At our community radio station we just upgraded from v7.0.2 to 7.1.3 and
> quite a few things have changed which has caused the following questions.
>
> 1. When one does a \d on a table the type description for a varchar field
> has changed from
>     varchar(40)
>     character varying(40)
> which is most annoying as it forces lines to wrap because of long text in
> the modifier section.
>
> Can this be set back to the former? If so how is it done?

Not without editing the source code.

> 2. Previously when issuing a \z command it listed in the 'access
> permission' just the public and group permissions, eg.
> annoucr        | {"=r","group admin=arwR","group music_coord=r"}
>
> Now it includes the owner name as well as all its permissions eg.
> annoucr        | {"=r","zedadmin=arwR","group admin=arwR","group
> music_coord=r"}

If the owner has some permissions they need to be stored somewhere.  This
was actually part of a bug fix -- in the 7.0 case the owner actually
didn't have any permissions -- so it won't change.

> 3. Previously the permissions on a sequence were just read-only to PUBLIC
> (ie. {"=r"}) which allowed any of our applications to access the sequence
> if it needed to. Now it appears that the permissions are to be allocated
> to the group accessing the application and that it must be read-write.

The reason that you need write access is that if you call nextval you
actually write to the sequence.  If you call currval you don't need write
access.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net