Re: installing 7.2b3 on IRIX 6.5.13

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: installing 7.2b3 on IRIX 6.5.13
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> It's not clear to me whether we should change template/irix5 or not.
> It sounds like gcc is misinstalled on your machine, but that doesn't
> necessarily mean that no one is using gcc successfully on IRIX, so
> I don't want to force CC=cc.

One of these days I'm going to write this down somewhere:  GCC + Irix +
PostgreSQL does not work -- until proven otherwise and/or GCC is fixed.
(The reason that the assembly fails is unrelated to this bug; it's just
that no one ever bothered to work on it because there's no use anyway.)
I was going to suggest myself someday that we force CC=cc, but it should
be done in configure.in (near line 274) and not in the template file.

> Possibly this would make sense:
>
> if test "$GCC" = yes ; then
>   CFLAGS="-O2"
> else
>   CFLAGS="-n32 -O2 -r12000"
>   LDFLAGS="-n32 -O2 -r12000"
> fi

We've had successful reports for Irix in the past, so I don't think the -n
and -r flags are strictly necessary -- at least I'd like to see more
information regarding them.  What makes -n32 and -r12000 better than, say,
-n64 and -r6000?

The -O2 seems okay.  Its lack is probably a remnant from the old fmgr
times.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net