Re: Backup of large objects

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Backup of large objects
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Srinivasa Rao Chava writes:

> 1) How to backup Large objects, because pg_dump will not backup the large
> objects. Can anybody help with some examples.

Use pg_dump 7.1 or later, it can back up large objects.  Look at the man
page for the option, it escapes me at the moment.

> 2)How big is the database that postgresql can support?

unlimited

> 3)How to change the size and datatype of   a column in a table.

You can't do that directly.  You need to save your data (with pg_dump,
maybe), recreate the changed table, and restore your data.  There are
numerous examples in the archives.

> 4) Up to which point can  the data be  restored? Is it upto the point of
> backup taken or upto the point of system crash?

Not sure what you mean here.  Certainly you can keep storing data after
having made a backup.