Re: GNU readline and BSD license

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: GNU readline and BSD license
Дата
Re: GNU readline and BSD license  (The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>)
Re: GNU readline and BSD license  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: GNU readline and BSD license  (Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>)
Список pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker writes:

> Actually, IMHO, the pro to moving to libedit is that we could include it
> as part of the distribution and make history a *standard* feature

History already is a standard feature, you just need to have readline
installed.  In a world of source code users need to cope with package
dependencies, and it's not like readline is the most esoteric package in
the world.  Gradually adding operating system level things into a package
purely to convenience some users is a way to piss of the users at large
because you're overriding their operating system setup.

If libedit could be used as an alternative to readline depending on your
operating system setup then there's nothing wrong with that.  NetBSD
already went the other way around and made libedit compatible with
readline.

But given that readline availability during the last five years was
apparently just fine I don't understand this discussion at all.

Сообщение: Re: GNU readline and BSD license
Сообщение: Re: GNU readline and BSD license