Re: one other big mysql->postgresql item

От Brett W. McCoy
Тема Re: one other big mysql->postgresql item
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, George Johnson wrote:

> In my two emails, I'm not trying to justify the horrific SQL coding habits
> of MySQL users, but presenting some of myriad user questions that might
> possibly pound the lists if you have an influx of new MySQL-converting
> users.
>
> Does that make sense?  <grin>
> I think one thing one'd have to do is separate oneself from the
> philosophical/theoretical "bad SQL/good SQL" and think punch-clock.  Sorta
> like Java is built to be a punch-clock language -- production grade, no new
> 'stuff'.  PRACTICALLY speaking, of course :)

This is why having a guide on porting applications between the two is a
good idea, especially if we can stay away from philosophical/religious
wars and present the documentation pragmatically.

-- Brett

                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
Fools ignore complexity.  Pragmatists suffer it.
Some can avoid it.  Geniuses remove it.
-- Perlis's Programming Proverb #58, SIGPLAN Notices, Sept.  1982