Re: feature request... case sensitivity without double

От Nigel J. Andrews
Тема Re: feature request... case sensitivity without double
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Pete wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if this is the correct place to make a feature request. If
> not hopefully I can be kindly pointed in that direction.
>
> I have several project that use MySQL and I would like to port them to
> PostgreSQL unfortunately they use a naming convention which uses upper
> case and lower case letters
> Example:
> SELECT AccountID FROM Account
>
> I am aware that if you enclose those table and column names with " then
> postgresql will take the case into consideration. Only problem is most
> people who have current MySQL project have not written their statements
> with " (MySQL parser uses no quotes of the ` back tick) and it would
> take considerable man power to convert each SQL statement.

I've not tried this but if it were me I would try updating the names of the
objects and columns in pg_class and pg_attribute so that they weren't mixed
case. I wonder though, how did these get created in the db in mixed case in the
first place? Your creation scripts must have created them using the double
quotes around the names. That strikes me as an inconsitency which shouldn't
have existed. However, as I say, I'd look at renaming things in the system
tables to try and repair the situation. Don't forget to back everything up
first.

Unfortunately, the folding the lowercase isn't the best since names should be
folded to upper case, however, I'm with the likes of Tom who prefer to see
things in lowercase most of the time. I guess that's what FORTRAN does to
one's brain after a while of trying to read it.

--
Nigel J. Andrews