feature request... case sensitivity without double quotes

От Pete
Тема feature request... case sensitivity without double quotes
Дата
Re: feature request... case sensitivity without double  ("Nigel J. Andrews" <nandrews@investsystems.co.uk>)
Re: feature request... case sensitivity without double quotes  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to make a feature request. If
not hopefully I can be kindly pointed in that direction.

I have several project that use MySQL and I would like to port them to
PostgreSQL unfortunately they use a naming convention which uses upper
case and lower case letters
Example:
SELECT AccountID FROM Account

I am aware that if you enclose those table and column names with " then
postgresql will take the case into consideration. Only problem is most
people who have current MySQL project have not written their statements
with " (MySQL parser uses no quotes of the ` back tick) and it would
take considerable man power to convert each SQL statement.

Perhaps a feature, which is not set by default so it doesn't break
current functionality, can be set so that when creating the database you
can set a flag that will let postgresql know to parse column and table
names that don't have double quotes and still keep the case information.

I'm sure this will help spure more adoption of Postgresql, because
people with serious databases concerns can't use MySQL and for real
production and large scale projects I've purchased commercial databases
because the migration from MySQL to them was easier because of the
different approach to parsing.

Thanks for your time,
Pete