Re: Great change (size of data dir) upgrading postgresql

От Nigel J. Andrews
Тема Re: Great change (size of data dir) upgrading postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Carlos Costa Portela wrote:

>     Hello all!
>
>     I've upgraded postgresql from 7.2 to 7.4, and my data dir has
> changed a lot:
>
> S.ficheros          Tamaño Usado  Disp Uso% Montado en
> /dev/hda1             1.9G  1.8G   64M  97% /usr/local/pgsql/data.old
> /dev/hdb2             4.5G  357M  3.9G   9% /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
>     Is this normal? I've made some queries to the system and all the
> data seems be there. Of course, the database goes faster than before
> upgrading it, but I want know if I can delete this data.old directory.

Well, to be safe...back it up.

However, I would suggest that you haven't 'vacuum'-ed you 7.3 database for some
time. To give some level of comfort before destroying the original data
directory you could fire up the 7.2 server and run vacuum full against it's
databases. Then check the disk usage and hopefully you would see similar disk
usage to the new installation. You may also need to reindex the 7.2 databases
to get the old installation to similar disk usage as the new one.

---
Nigel Andrews