Re: Altering a table - positioning new columns

От Nigel J. Andrews
Тема Re: Altering a table - positioning new columns
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Chris Boget wrote:

> > Of course this has its drawbacks, if there are triggers, foreign keys, ...
>
> Yeah, these are pretty serious drawbacks.  It took me 30+ minutes to do
> this for just _one_ table.  I don't like new fields trailing the column list because
> I prefer all similar columns to be grouped.  That way if you are viewing the
> data through a UI, it's easier to see/read.
> But I guess unless I want to spend hours adding a few columns to some
> tables, I'm just going to have to learn to live with it... :|

Of course that is purely presentation of the data, nothing to do with integrity
of the data, therefore just as the order of rows returned from a query are
undefined, unless explicitly ordered, so are the columns.

MySQL might be seen as having a good feature if it can manage the column
ordering bit but imo it's fud, detracting from the real job of a DB.

--
Nigel J. Andrews