Re: Altering a table - positioning new columns

От Chris Boget
Тема Re: Altering a table - positioning new columns
Дата
Re: Altering a table - positioning new columns  (Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg@aon.at>)
Re: Altering a table - positioning new columns  (Tim Frank <tfrank@registrar.uoguelph.ca>)
Список pgsql-general
> No.  Sorry.

*sigh*  That kind of bites.
I'm curious how difficult this would be to implement...

>  If column order is important, you have to create a new table and copy
> over the data, then drop the old table and rename the new one.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing all weekend.

> Of course this has its drawbacks, if there are triggers, foreign keys, ...

Yeah, these are pretty serious drawbacks.  It took me 30+ minutes to do
this for just _one_ table.  I don't like new fields trailing the column list because
I prefer all similar columns to be grouped.  That way if you are viewing the
data through a UI, it's easier to see/read.
But I guess unless I want to spend hours adding a few columns to some
tables, I'm just going to have to learn to live with it... :|

Chris