Re: tuple too big error

От Gavin Sherry
Тема Re: tuple too big error
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Richard,

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Richard Huxton wrote:

> > Did I overlook something? Is it necessary to import such a long string as
> > large object?
> >
> > I am using PostgreSQL 7.0.3 under SuSE Linux 7.1.
>
> Afraid you have overlooked something - the 8k row limit applies to text
> fields too. You'll either need to use 7.1 (at release candidate stage) where
> this limit no longer applies, or large-objects.

Main problem with large objects with postgres 7.0 series (and before
this) is that ext2 does not scale well when number of hard links in a
given directory grows to anything like what I would expect a database with
DNA sequences in it would require.

I believe some directory splitting was planned for 7.1 release but I have
not seen this in the beta releases.

Gavin